UPDATE: Near ten years has gone by. Many more books read. So some are getting bumped.
Another Top Ten List.
- The Book of the New Sun – Gene Wolfe
- The Book of the Dun Cow – Walter Wangerin Jr.
- The Warhound and the World’s Pain – Michael Moorcock
- Neuromancer – William Gibson
- Wolverine – Chris Claremont and Frank Miller
- The Black Company – Glen Cook
- One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- The Foundation Trilogy – Issac Asimov
- Coriolanus – Shakespeare
- Gates of Fire – Stephen Pressfield
Honorable mentions: A Clockwork Orange – Anthony Burgess (5:2003)The Ililad and the Odyssey – Homer (technically a poem, sue me. 10:2003) Ulysses – James Joyce (9: 2003), The Last Temptation of Christ – Nikos Kazantzakis (6: 2003), Slaughterhouse 5 – Kurt Vonnegut, The Sun also Rises – Ernest Hemingway, Les Liaisons Dangereuses – Choderlos de Laclos, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliver – Stephen R. Donaldson, The Fifth Head of Cerberus – Gene Wolfe
*Not in any particular order.
NOTE: For 2012 I decided to add any literary medium that was formative for me. Hence some of the more ‘classic’ pieces being bumped to honorable mention.